Sunday, January 27, 2013

Benihana Japanese Fried Rice

I was making vegetarian soft tacos (with MorningStar Farms Meal Starters Grillers Recipe Crumbles, which is like a tofu version of ground beef), and I wanted a nice side dish.  Tonight, I went with Benihana Japanese Fried Rice from the Top Secret Restaurant Recipes cookbook.


I made several changes to the recipe, including:
  • Using basmati rice instead of regular white rice (because that's what I had!)
  • Using 3 eggs instead of 2 (these get scrambled and added in, and 3 is better than 2)
  • Not using any grated carrot (because I'm out, and it's more for color than flavor, considering you're only using 2 tablespoons)
  • Sautéing the diced onion (because it seemed insane not to - raw onion in fried rice??)
  • Not adding any additional salt & pepper
Bottom line - the rice was really delicious.  The recipe says it makes 4 side dishes of this rice, but I would say that 6 servings is more accurate.




  • Prep/cook time (because you're really doing both simultaneously): 60 minutes (this is because you have to make the rice, scramble the eggs, heat up the peas, sauté the onion, and then stir fry it all together)
  • Top Secret Restaurant Recipes, 1997, pg. 43

1 comment: