Monday, January 14, 2013

Betty Crocker's Cookbook - Pizza Dough

So after a full week of not being motivated to even make anything that required the following of actual directions (as opposed to just winging it like most home cooks do anyway), I finally broke down and made something from an actual cookbook. 

Tonight, I used the Betty Crocker Cookbook (1987) to make good ol' pizza dough.  My 11-year-old has been complaining for a very long time about the circular cardboard-like discs of hardened dough that come hermetically sealed in the package.  The cost of one pizza circle is about $2.25, and the ingredients to make the pizza dough probably cost me maybe 50 cents.  Big savings and much better flavor!  I didn't have any pizza sauce, and the sauce recipe in the book didn't sound like my kids would eat it, so I relied on a jar of pasta sauce (actually called cooking sauce on the jar), but this was actually better than the canned pizza sauce I've been using anyway.

The only issue I would have with this recipe is that it says this is enough dough for 2 pizzas, but they must be small pizzas because I used the entire recipe to make one large pizza...something to remember next time, that's for sure...and judging from the kids' reaction, I would say this will be a definite regular recipe in our house!
  • Prep time: 15 minutes
  • Cook time: 15 minutes
  • Betty Crocker's Cookbook, 1987, pg. 167





2 comments:

  1. It was! Even the few leftover pieces that went into the freezer were good a couple of days later (though of course, Isaac could tell the difference...).

    ReplyDelete